Small Business Banter
Kate Biondo CEO of worker-owner Galactic Co-operative on starting and running their technology business
This is episode 1 of 4 in the BCCM series on Coops and Mutuals. Kate Biondo CEO of Galactic Cooperative shares her insights on why the Coop model was central in getting starting, and the different day-to-day opportunities, rewards, and challenges the model throws up for the owners of this business.
@KateBiondo is the #CEO of @GalacticCooperative which is a #workerownedcoop.
Kate is the first guest of a four-episode series on #cooperatives and #mutuals brought to you by @BCCM (Business Council of Cooperatives & Mutuals)
We chat about the decision to start business life as a cooperative, what that involved and the different benefits.
In our discussion we cover;
- The decision to implement a #cooperativemodel
- Being a #workerownedcooperative and giving #employees the ability to go with what works for them
- The difference #cooperatives are making in #businesses and #communities
- The need for #businessowners to come together to #collaborate for greater #supplychain efficiency and increased access to #export opportunities
- Building and growing via #umbrellabusinessmodel (with other businesses underneath)
- How taking on more responsibility brings about more benefits for a business
- How and why taking a different approach to business operations is beneficial
- The #barriers you may face when it comes to making a business a cooperative
- #Sustainableapproaches to #businessmachinery and #equipment to create a #circulareconomy of #recycling
- The day-to-day challenges faced by small business owners and having they can be dealt with
- The importance of meetings involving everyone, not just management, as “input is needed from everybody”
- Why it is important to plan an array of timelines for where you want your business at different stages in the future
- How #workerownedcooperatives allow for more open discussions and time for decisions about future plans
- How #cooperatives see investments in the business relative to the people that make up the business
- How #cooperatives allow for other opinions and experts to join the team to help grow and structure a #smallbusiness
- The future of cooperatives